Sunday, June 25, 2006

Vive la Fete

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine informed my sister and me that there would be a Republican Party gathering at the King David Hotel that Saturday night. We decided to attend.

When we arrived, there were probably forty or so people in the hall. Shortly thereafter, a contingent of about fifteen men, looking like upscale business-men entered the room. As it turns out, they were all elites of the Republican party taking part of a Republican mission to Israel.

One of the gentlemen struck up a conversation with me. I told him about where I had gone to college, what I was doing in Israel, etc. I spoke about myself for about fifteen minutes, when I finally asked him: "And what is your affiliation with the Republican party?" to which he responded: "I'm the Chairman."

There I was, slightly aghast, that I had been blabbing on about myself to the Chairman of the Republican Party! The Chairman, Ken Mehlman, was lovely, personable, friendly and intelligent. He continued by informing me that he had run President Bush's re-election campaign! I felt somewhat humbled, but also delighted by the fact that I was casually shmoozing with such an important figure in the party.

We also met Matt Brooks, the head of the Republican Jewish Coalition. He was also very friendly. Mr. Mehlman spoke and fielded questions. He was quite articulate and impressive, reiterating President Bush's support for Israel.

As we exited the room we nearly collided with Former Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, who was headed to the King David gym! I shook hands with him and wished him a goodnight!

The entire night left me with the feeling: "Only in Israel." Where else would I have rubbed elbows with dignitaries from the Republican party and bumped into a former prime minister?!

(The pictures are of me, Ken Mehlman and my sister; the second one is us with Matt Brooks)
(Enjoy the irony of the French title to describe a Republican party gathering!)

No comments: